New Delhi: The counting of votes for the Rajouri Garden assembly constituency, where bypoll was held on April 9, is underway. According to the election office, counting began at 8 AM.
The process is expected to be wrapped up by 10.30 AM, an election official said.
Around 47 per cent of the west Delhi seat’s over 1.6 lakh electors had cast their vote on April 9.
The seat fell vacant early this year after AAP’s Jarnail Singh quit as MLA to contest Punjab Assembly poll against SAD patron Parkash Singh Badal.
The byelection saw a three-cornered contest among the AAP, BJP-Akali combine and the Congress.
For the BJP and the Congress, success in the bye-election is crucial for their continuing relevance in the city’s politics while it will be a test for the AAP’s popularity.
The AAP had come up with a new face – Harjeet Singh – for the election while the Congress fielded Meenakshi Chandela, who belongs to a politically influential family of the area.
The BJP-SAD combine’s candidate Manjinder Singh Sirsa is a veteran face in city’s politics. He had won the seat in 2013.
Print This Post
To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g
- Punjab election results: Congress wins more seats with lesser vote share
- By-Election Results 2017: For Arvind Kejriwal And AAP, Another Election Loss
- Congress wins big in Punjab Amritsar Lok Sabha seat bypoll
- California Chapter of the Indian Overseas Congress, USA inaugurated on a high note
- Congress names 218 candidates for Karnataka assembly poll
- BJP election win people’s endorsement of demonetisation: Arun Jaitley
- Modi’s one-man show triumphs again in India’s battleground state
- Jubilant crowd in USA welcomes Capt. Amarinder Singh’s party’s landslide victory in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha Elections
- ELECTIONVoting begins for three Rajya Sabha seats in Gujarat
- India’s Congress Party poised to install Rahul Gandhi as leader
- INOC, USA team Hopeful; sensed widespread disenchantment of Modi government as they survey the grassroots level
- The three women hoping to upset India’s Modi at the polls
- Gujarat Rajya Sabha Election 2017: Ahmed Patel grabs victory on night of high drama
- Congress expels 8 Gujarat MLAs for violating party whip by cross-voting in Rajya Sabha elections
- Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Election Results will be announced today
- Karnataka Government formation live Updates: Governor Vajubhai Vala invites BJP, Congress-JDS in Supreme Court
- Had Gayatri Prasad Prajapati been arrested, we would have won more seats: Congress leader Pradeep Mathur
- UP results show the narrative is whatever Narendra Modi wants it to be
- PTI secures majority, all set to form govt in Punjab
- Congress Party will form the next government in Punjab; asserts T. J. Gill, Senior VP, INOC, USA; INOC, USA leaders are on the ground and lending a hand
- Former Congress leader SM Krishna set to join BJP
- Navjot Singh Sidhu joins opposition chorus to seek proof of IAF strikes in Balakot
- Top leaders congratulate Venkaiah Naidu on his victory on Vice Presidential election
- Afraid of defeat in 2nd phase too, BJP breaks EVM: Naveen