Pakistan’s Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi have met at a summit in Kazakhstan.
According to reports, Sharif and Modi exchanged greetings and shook hands at the opening of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit in Astana on Thursday.
The summit formally begins on Friday.
The meeting between the leaders of the two arch rivals took place despite simmering tensions between the two nuclear powers.
Sharif and Modi had met 17 months ago, on the sidelines of the Paris climate summit. Shortly after that meeting, Modi made a surprise visit to Pakistan in December 2015.
Relations between Pakistan and India quickly deteriorated after Modi’s visit, when suspected Pakistan-based militants attacked an Indian airbase in Pathankot in January 2016, killing six Indian soldiers.
In response, New Delhi accused Islamabad of continuing to “sponsor terrorism” — a charge Pakistan denies — and suspended ongoing peace talks.
There have also been renewed tensions in the disputed Kashmir territory, which is split between the two neighbors.
Militants killed 19 Indian soldiers in a raid on a military camp in Kashmir in September 2016.
Modi meets China’s Xi
Modi also met with Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the summit.
The leaders met for the first time in nearly eight months, and after India boycotted the high-profile Belt and Road Forum held in Beijing last month, in which 29 world leaders took part.
The SCO, also known as the Shanghai Pact, is a political, economic, and military union founded in Shanghai in 1996 by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
India and Pakistan are to join SCO during the landmark Astana summit.
Print This Post
To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g
- China, India leaders to hold summit after border row
- Shehbaz Sharif lauds PAF for retaliatory action against India
- Narendra Modi v Imran Khan: Who won the war of perception?
- India, France Safety Accord Has China In Thoughts | India Information
- BRICS Summit 2017 highlights: ‘Healthy, stable’ China-India ties necessary, Xi Jinping tells PM Modi
- Pakistan PM urges India to stop ‘bloodbath’ in Kashmir; Slams India’s ‘repression’ on Kashmir Solidarity Day
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan says greater chance of peace with India if Modi is re-elected
- Pakistan hands captured fighter pilot back to India Alive; India Returned Pakistan Dead Body of Pakistan Citizen
- Withdrawal of India’s BJP from Kashmir government could herald ‘muscular policy’
- Nawaz Sharif is incapable to respond India’s aggression; Imran Khan
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announces $ 4.5 Billion credit line to Bangladesh; Vows early Solution in Teesta issue
- China is “ready” for talks with India on its entry into the NSG
- Senators deplore Indian reaction to Jadhav conviction
- Raj Thackeray Predicts ‘Pulwama-like’ Attack Before Lok Sabha Polls, Links Timing to Pathankot Incident
- Hailing Bangladesh, Modi slams Pak for ‘backstabbing’
- Paris or no Paris, We are ‘committed’; We have no right to snatch from our future generations their right to have a clean and beautiful earth: Narendra Modi
- Terrorism, climate change biggest challenges before mankind: Modi
- Kulbhushan Jadav; Is Pakistan Military hiding the fact with Pak Civilian Govt.?
- Kulbhushan Singh Jadhav case; Pakistan will not take any pressure from India: Nawaz Sharif
- Chinese, Indian leaders to meet this week
- Narendra Modi’s effort to improve relationship with Pakistan has produced “several specific breakthroughs”: മോദിയെ പ്രശംസിച്ച് പാക് മാധ്യമങ്ങള്
- Shah hits out at Naidu, says he trusts Imran Khan not PM Modi
- Time for World Community to unite against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi
- Pakistan desires dialogue with India, doesn’t want to escalate tensions: Ambassador Majeed