The classic pierogi recipe is to die for. Traditionally, pierogi (an Eastern European recipe) is made from dumplings that are filled with potatoes, cheese and a variety of meats and veggies. They are incredibly delicious but rather time-consuming. This recipe, however, won’t take you half as long. Using regular lasagna noodles will provide a very similar taste and texture. It is loaded with melted cheese and buttery mashed potatoes – the ultimate in comfort food.
Prep time: 50 minutes; serves 6-8
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Meanwhile, grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or a non-stick spray.
2. Prepare the lasagna noodles according to package directions and set aside. Then, in a large skillet add the onion, butter, salt, and pepper. Sauté the ingredients on medium heat until soft – this should take about 10 minutes.
3. In the baking dish place 4 lasagna noodles in an even layer at the bottom. Layer 1/2 of the mashed potatoes on top of the lasagna and top with 1/2 of the sautéed onions and 1/2 cup of cheese.
4. Repeat the process with another layer of lasagna noodles, the remaining mashed potatoes, and the sautéed onions. Top with another 1/2 cup of cheese.
5. Finish the dish with the remaining 4 noodles and 1 cup of cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve the lasagna hot and enjoy!Print This Post To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g