Everyone has those dishes from our childhood that we love, but can’t quite make ourselves. Our mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers seemed to know off by heart, but never wrote down. The magical childhood dish is a Scotch egg. They’re absolutely delicious hot or cold, and can even be sliced up and put into sandwiches. Here we have provided you with a recipe that will enable you to make this childhood classic.
Scotch Eggs (Makes 6)
• 6 hard-boiled eggs, shells removed
• 18 ounces (500 grams) ground pork (pork mince)
• 18 ounces (500 grams) ground beef (beef mince)
• 1 small onion, finely grated
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 teaspoon mild mustard
• 2 tablespoons freshly-chopped parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
• Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, then add 6 eggs and simmer for 7 minutes and 30 seconds exactly. Scoop out, and place in a bowl of iced water, cracking the shells a little bit (making it easier to peel later on). Let them cool, then peel and set aside.
2. Place the ground pork and beef, vegetables, herbs and spices in a medium bowl, and mix to combine. Then divide into 6 equal balls. Squash one of the balls on a piece of plastic wrap until it is as flat as possible. One at a time, lightly flour each cooked egg, then use the plastic wrap to help roll the mixture around the egg to completely encase it. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
3. Beat 3 eggs lightly, and place on a plate. Put the flour and breadcrumbs on two separate plates. Roll the encased eggs in the flour, then the beaten egg, and finally the breadcrumbs.
4. To cook the eggs, heat the oil until it reaches roughly 160°C (if some breadcrumbs turn golden after 10 seconds in the oil, you’re good to go). Lower the eggs into the oil, and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on some kitchen paper, leave to cool, then enjoy.
Like our page https://www.facebook.com/MalayalamDailyNews/ and get latest news update from USA, India and around the world. Stay updated with latest News in Malayalam, English and Hindi.