Bengaluru: Karnataka Election Results 2018 live updates – Hectic political developments continued in Karnataka on Wednesday, a day after the state Legislative Assembly Election 2018 threw up a fractured verdict. The incumbent Congress party could manage to win only 78 seats while the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party increased its 2013 tally by a huge margin and secured wins in 104 constituencies. The JD(S)-BSP combine won 38 seats, while the Karnataka Pragnyavantha Janatha Party and an Independent emerged victorious on one seat each.
On Tuesday, in a masterstroke, the Congress extended outside support to the Janata Dal (Secular) to form the government in Karnataka with HD Kumaraswamy as the chief minister. The JD(S) has accepted the support. However, both the BJP and the Congress-JD(S) have made competing for claims to form the government.
Karnataka Assembly Election 2018 – LIVE UPDATES:
Rohatgi– court can set aside the govt and remove Yedyurappa from govt. But cannot stop oath-taking.
– Rohatgi: you cannot call a Governor to court. You can’t ask him to file an affidavit or appear in court. The centre has to defend him because he cannot defend himself.
– Rohatgi– president and governor are not answerable to court in exercise of power. Governer’s power is to administer oath. Court cannot interfere
-Rohatgi– governor’s job is to administer the oath. Can’t be stopped
AG also argues that the issue of when the floor test can be held should be heard on Friday
AG– The time period can always be modified if Yeddyurappa letter says 7 days as alleged by Congress
– The floor test issue need not be heard today. Cannot be debated at 4 am in the morning. Can be done after we have the papers, says Mukul Rohatgi
– We do not know. If they succeed they get a walkover. This petition should never have been filed. It’s a question of Governor’s discretion- AG says
– you’re arguing that floor test may fail- SC
– Why 15 days? That’s the question- asks SC
– SC says Governor could have waited before inviting BJP leader to form govt and waited to conduct exercise of inviting all MLAs before him to verify
– Justice Sikri– What is being argued by Congress. They have given signed letters. All these persons have given signed letters. So how in a case like this will you have 112 or more??
– SC asks can MLAs be sworn in without CM and cabinet?
– Justice Sikri asks how is BJP claiming majority?
– Attorney General K K Venugopal starts arguments. “We do not know what transpired between the leader of the BJP and the governor. Yeddyurappa has not been served. No one appearing for him. The whole thing is a grey area under speculation,”says AG.
– Since we don’t know whose support Yeddyurappa is claiming, the swearing-in should be delayed- Abhishek Manu Singhvi
– Arguments underway in the court. Abhishek Manu Singhvi argues that poaching is the only way BJP can prove majority
– Who’s appearing for whom: Abhishek Manu Singhvi appearing for Congress & JD(S), Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta for Union govt & former Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi for BJP, in hearing of the petition filed by Cong & JD(S) challenging Karnataka Governor’s decision
– Abhishek Manu Singhvi appearing for Congress & JD(S), Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta for Union govt & former Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi for BJP, in hearing of the petition filed by Cong & JD(S) challenging Karnataka Governor’s decision
– Governor has the power to call the party with a majority to form the government. And he has done that. The reality will unfold on Assembly floor- Mukul Rohatgi.
– Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta will be defending the union in the case
– Justice Sikri, Justice Ashok Bhushan and Justice Bobde will be hearing the matter
– A three judge-bench will hear the matter in Court room no-6
– BREAKING: Supreme Court to hear the matter at 1.45 am. “Irrespective of merits, very gracious of SC to fix hearing at 145 am at ct no 2. Shows justice never sleeps & accessibility is 24×7, where merits so demand. Which apex court in the world allows such accessibility?” said Congress’ Abhishek Manu Singhvi.
– Supreme Court Registrar arrives at the residence of Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, with the petition filed by Congress and JD(S) over swearing-in of BS Yeddyurappa as Karnataka Chief Minister tomorrow
– Congress approaches Chief Justice of India seeking an urgent hearing to stall swearing-in of B S Yedyurappa
– Karnataka war reaches New Delhi. Congress to approach Supreme Court now
– The Cong party will use all constitutional provision at its disposal to challenge the illegitimate govt of BSY despite not having the nos. We will go to the people’s court and the court of law to protect the Constitution- says Congress’ Randeep Surjewala.
– The party that blew up the constitution to shambles is teaching us the constitution, the party that imposed President rule the most number of times is giving us lessons: Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad in Delhi.
– Tomorrow BS Yeddyurappa will be taking oath (as CM of Karnataka) alone, after proving majority cabinet will be sworn in: Murlidhar Rao, BJP
– Karnataka governor invites BJP’s B S Yeddyurappa to form the government in Karnataka
– Congress’ Abhishek Manu Singhvi leaves his residence.
– After tweeting that BS Yeddyurappa will take oath on Thursday morning at 9.30 am, Karnataka BJP has now deleted the tweet
– Congress & JD(S) clearly establish majority yet Governor hasn’t taken decision to invite Shri Kumaraswamy to form govt. We heard Guv may have invited BS Yeddyurappa but since it is not confirmed we are proceeding on basis that Guv has not decided to invite anyone: P Chidambaram
– Governor sends formal invitation to Yeddyurappa to form government in Karnataka
– BJP’s BS Yeddyurappa to take oath as Karnataka CM on Thursday morning at 9.30 am- sources
– Karnataka Governor set to call BJP by 8 pm. Likely to adhere by Sankara commission- sources
– KPJP candidate R Shankar with BJP again
– Karnataka governor likely to invite BJP to form a government, shortly- sources
– BJP MPs Shobha Karandlaje, GM Siddeshwara and PC Mohan write to Home Minister Rajnath Singh stating, ‘we have every reason to believe that Karnataka govt is misusing its power and tapping our mobile phones. This is a clear violation of our fundamental right to privacy.’
– Three BJP MPs in Karnataka have accused the outgoing Siddaramaiah government of phone-tapping. In a letter to Home Minister Rajnath Singh, BJP MP from Udupi-Chikkamagaluru Shobha Karandlaje alleged, “We have every reason to believe that the Karnataka government is misusing its position and tapping out mobile cell phones. Political situation is still fluid (in Karnataka) following a fractured mandate. The Congress government in Karnataka is taking advantage of this situation and has resorted to cheap tactics of tapping the telephones of BJP leaders.”
– JD(S) is mulling legal options after meeting the governor. “We have a total of 117 legislators with us. In the recent past, there have been instances where the single largest party and parties with required numbers has arisen. There is also an SC order on this. We have been assured by Guv that he will seek legal opinion on the issue. That he will let us know at the earliest,” Kumaraswamy.
– Governor likely to give a nod to BJP to form the government- sources
– Kumaraswamy reaches Raj Bhavan, MLAs leave for Eagleton Resort in Bengaluru
– JD(S) and Congress finally got the appointment to meet Governor. BJP’s Ananth Kumar, Dharmendra Pradhan, JP Nadda and Muralidhar Rao after meeting BS Yeddyurappa at his residence in Bengaluru.
– The six Congress MLAs has not signed on the list of supporters of an alliance. It was earlier believed that the alliance will fall short of a majority but the MLAs are now claiming that they are on their way to Bengaluru and will reach by evening, as per Times Now sources. All 37 JD(S) and one BSP MLA (who is in alliance with JD(S) in Karnataka) have signed the letter of support.
– Ghulam Nabi Azad also said, “Since 12-12.30 pm we are seeking an appointment with Governor so they can handover our two letters, 1 of legislator party of Congress another of legislator party of JD(S). We haven’t received any message from Governor so far. We are waiting eagerly.”
Meanwhile, news agency ANI sources said, if Congress-JD(S) are not invited by the Governor then the MLAs will sit on a ‘dharna’ outside Raj Bhawan from tomorrow. MPs may also join them.
– Three signatures missing from the list of MLAs of Congress and JD(S). This may come as a setback for the alliance of both the parties. Azad said, on whether Congress will take the legal option or not, “Stealing of MLAs shouldn’t be allowed. No Guv can go against Constitution. We can’t tell you whom we’ll approach and whom not. At this juncture, we’ve complete faith in Guv that he’ll go by Constitution and not party politics.”
– The Congress MLAs have leveled charges against Siddaramaiah over ticket distribution. “Siddaramaiah acted unilaterally,” the MLAs claimed. Ghulam Nabi Azad addressed media and said that the Governor has not yet replied to the request for the appointment. “BJP does not have numbers.”
“Congress legislative party met and unanimously and decided to support JDS, we are seeking an appointment with Governor to hand over two letters, one of Congress and another of JDS. Our party and JDS so far have not received any message from Governor house. We are keenly waiting. Both parties put together have more than the required number whereas BJP is short of numbers , according to 3 judge bench of Sc earlier said the single largest party does not hold good if does not have the required numbers – Ghulam Nabi Azad”
– Siddaramaiah tweeted, “Dear Brothers & Sisters of Karnataka, I thank you for your verdict. It has been an honour to serve you as Chief Minister for the past 5 years. I am confident the Congress Party & the new Government we form, will continue to work for the best interests of our state & our people.”
– No question of asking for anything (on reports that he wants to be Deputy CM). Our priority right now is to have a secular government. All the 78 MLAs are together, said DK Shivkumar, Congress. Signatures of JDS and Congress MLAs being taken in support of HD Kumaraswamy. The document will be submitted to the Governor later today.
– “All the MLAs are intact. Some of the MLAs came late because they came in a special flight from Bidar,” said G Parameshwara, Congress on 12 Congress MLAs not present in the legislative meeting at Karnataka Party Congress Committee office in Bengaluru. The Congress and JD(S) are likely to meet Governor at 4 pm.
– “They are leveling baseless charges against BJP. Poaching and horse trading is not done by BJP, Congress is famous for it. Their own MLAs are not happy with their alliance,” said Prakash Javadekar, Karnataka BJP In-charge on horse-trading allegations by Congress and JD(S). Rs 100 crore figure is not only imaginary but it is what Congress-JDS do politics through. We are going by rules, we have submitted our claim to the Governor, are confident of forming the govt, said the Union minister.
– The Social Democratic Party of India (SDPI) called for a state-wide protest against BJP. The party claimed that the BJP won by rigging EVMs. Meanwhile, Siddaramaiah came out of KPCC office. “HD Kumaraswamy is the JD(S) legislative party leader,” said outgoing chief minister Siddaramaiah. He told media, “Narendra Modiji is behind horsetrading,” said Siddaramaiah.
They (BJP) are horsetrading and misusing the power. Narendra Modiji is supporting this coup – Siddaramaih
– Times Now reports that Congress is currently mulling on three options: Congress will parade its MLAs along with JD(S)’s before the Governor. Second is that it will approach President Ram Nath Kovind and the last option will be moving Supreme Court if the BJP forms the government.
– Prime Minister should stand above party lines, a JD(S) top gun to Times Now. He said that no MLA will jump the ship. “The BJP has contacted Congress MLAs. At least 6 of them have said they were contacted by BJP. Few MLAs are on their way to blore. they will reach before 6 pm,” said Ramalinga Reddy, Congress.
– Times Now sources said Congress will move the Supreme Court. Abhishek Manu Singhvi to lead Congress legal team. Meanwhile, KPCC chief G Parameshwara leaves for Raj Bhavan. Congress leader CM Ibrahim said, “We are going to the governor with signatures of 117 MLAs. We will form the government. There is an SC order. The government will have to allow us to form the government and we will.
– “They (BJP) keep on calling but we don’t bother about it. I have clearly asked them not to call me. I am a committed Congress person. They have been doing this for a long time. This is their job,” said TD Rajegowda, Congress MLA on being asked if BJP had approached him.
– “BJP is in hurry mode. They need another 9 MLAs for a majority. Congress and JDS already have the required numbers. We are at 116. Despite not having the number, having a shortfall of 9. We have to question their intention,” said Kumaraswamy. HD Revanna told Times Now, HD Kumaraswamy will be the chief minister.
We will meet the Governor once again along with state Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee President (G Parameshwara)
12.20 pm is the time selected by Yeddyurappa for taking the oath
– “We are in no hurry. We are seeking the permission by the Governor to form the government,” HDK told Times Now. I have not met Javadekar, he said. Kumaraswamy will be meeting the Governor at 1:30 pm.
– “I am totally a free man. I am not worried about any development,” said Kumaraswamy. He said that Congress and JD(S) have submitted a letter to the Governor showing support. Meanwhile, BJP’s B Sriramulu denied charges of Rs 100 crore poaching. Congress has given me unconditional support, we have a good understanding, Kumaraswamy said.
– “BJP’s Ashwamedha Yatra started in North, the horses have been stopped in Karnataka. This verdict is to stop the Ashwamedha Yatra.
Forget ‘Operation Kamal’ being successful, there are people who are ready to leave BJP and come with us. If you try to poach one from ours, we’ll do the same & take double from you. I’m also telling the Governor to not take any decision which encourages horse-trading,” he said. “If BJP is getting the chance to form the government, it is his call,” he said.
Won’t take MLAs to Kochi – Kumaraswamy
– Kumaraswamy claimed that there are people who are ready to leave the party. If the BJP tries to poach the Congress and JD(S) MLAs, we will do double the damage, he said. “I urge the Governor to follow protocol. We are the majority,” Kumaraswamy threatens BJP. “BJP leaders, if they start horsetrading then I will have to protect my party,” said HDK.
If you take 10 MLAs, we’ll take your 20 – HD Kumaraswamy
– “I have been offered by both sides. I am not saying this loosely. There’s a black spot on my father’s career because of my decision to go with the BJP in 2004 & 2005. So God has given me the opportunity to remove this black spot. So I am going with Congress,” said Kumaraswamy. “I did not want to go against father’s wishes. I wish the Governor calls the Congress and JD(S) to form the government,” he said.
– MLAs have been approached by BJP and were offered RS 100 crores and a cabinet seat to one of the MLAs. “Where is this money coming from? How can they be so aggressive? Central agencies are being misused,” said JD(S)’s Kumaraswamy. He also hit out at the BJP saying that this is all black money stacked outside the country. He doesn’t have any personal gains to becoming the chief minister. “Want to continue development in the state,” he added.
They are supposedly the servers of poor people and they are offering money today. Where are the income tax officials?
– “Narendra Modi has nothing to do with BJP winning 104 seats, said Kumaraswamy. “The mandate does not belong to any single party,” Kumaraswamy told media. “Centre is misusing its authority. BJP is in hurry but they don’t have the numbers, but we do,” he said. He said that the BJP is well short of a majority. He also cited the course of action in Goa, Manipur and Meghalaya elections. BJP has no moral right to form the government, he said.
– HD Kumaraswamy has been chosen as legislative party leader in a meeting of the JD(S) MLAs in Bengaluru. Kumaraswamy will be submitting as approaches the Governor. JD(S) Legislative Party leader HD Kumaraswamy addresses media. Kumaraswamy said, “No question of alliance with the BJP. I thank party workers for their support.”
– BS Yeddyurappa leader has emerged from the Raj Bhavan, is going to speak to reporters shortly. Have requested the Governor to allow us to form a government, told him that I have been elected leader of the BJP legislative party – Yeddyurappa. “The party has chosen me. I have given the letter to the Governor and he will call me, that is what I am hoping. He told me that he will take an appropriate decision. I’ll inform you after I receive the letter from the Governor,” says BS Yeddyurappa
– HD Kumaraswamy will be the CM and there’ll be a coalition government. That is the only truth. People want him to be the CM. These kind of mechanisation will happen but the fact is that HD Kumaraswamy will be CM. We won’t be influenced by anyone – A Manjunath of JD(S)
– 66 out of the 78 MLAs have reached to attend Congress legislative party meeting at Karnataka Party Congress Committee office in Bengaluru
– Sources said KPJP candidate R Shankar is at Raj Bhavan with Yeddyurappa.
– BJP leader B Sriramulu says our support is for BS Yeddyurappa. “We will form the government. Reports of me contacting Congress MLAs is false, it’s a conspiracy.” He adds: “Sources tell me that the Karnataka Governor will invite Yeddyurappa to form government.”
– We have to protect the verdict of the people. They (BJP) are doing bad politics. We don’t have to stoop down to their level. We are 118 in number, we don’t want anyone. No body has called me to the resort, says Congress’ NA Harris
– We are all together. All this is false news. In fact, there are 6 BJP people, who are in touch with us, says MB Patil of Congress
– JD(S) MLAs Raja Venkatappa Nayaka and Venkata Rao Nadagouda are missing from the JD(S) legislative party meeting, which is going on in a hotel in Bengaluru as Yeddyurappa reaches Raj Bhavan to meet Governor
– Congress takes signatures of all MLAs, which are to be submitted to the Governor. Times Now talks to Congress outside Raj Bhavan. “The signatures are there. All MLAs, from Congress and JD(S), are about to reach. We have independents supporting us.” He said that Yeddyurappa does not have a majority, “How will he form the government. All the MLAs are with us, is he going to horse-trade?”
– BS Yeddyurappa elected as Legislative party leader. Yeddyurappa is on his way to Raj Bhavan to stake claim to form the government. Times Now sources said that Yeddyurappa told media he will take oath tomorrow as the new chief minister of Karnataka.
– We are the single largest party. You have seen how Congress & JD(S) were fighting, six months back. Now, they want to come together & make government: DV Sadananda Gowda, Union Minister. “Guv is obliged to call largest party, which is BJP. He should call BJP leader asking him if he can form govt. If he says he can’t, Guv will then call 2nd party & if he says he can form govt, Guv should give him time to prove majority,” said Mukul Rohatgi, former AG.
– Janata Dal (Secular) Karnataka chief HD Kumaraswamy told media ahead of party meeting that they have already decided to got with Congress. “We have already decided to go with Congress. That’s the reason we called Janta Dal (Secular) Legislature Party meeting. There is no question of taking any other decision,” said Kumaraswamy.
– Union Minister Prakash Javadekar addressed media and said that enemies have come together for power and are trying to gain ‘back-door entry’. He also lashed out at Congress and said that its alliance with JD(S) is unethical. Javadekar said, “People want BJP govt & we will make it. Anyone can create unnatural tensions, but people of Karnataka are with us. After meeting, we will take necessary steps. This attempt made by Congress to make a backdoor entry is not appreciated.” BJP party has begun now in Bengaluru.
– HD Kumaraswamy arrives for key meet at Bengaluru.
– BJP’s BS Yeddyurappa said, “During the legislature party meeting the leader will be elected. From there we will go to Raj Bhavan immediately. We will claim to form the govt. Most probably we will ask the Governor to give us time tomorrow.”
– BJP’s Sadananda Gowda spoke to reporters ahead of the key BJP meet. He questioned the Congress’ post-results bonhomie with the JD(S), considering that they had not seen eye-to-eye for the last six months. “You have seen how JD(S) and Congress were fighting each other for 6 months. Now they want backdoor entry into the government and hence the alliance.” The BJP has said that the Congress should “accept people’s mandate and should accept defeat with grace.”
– Meanwhile, BJP leaders and observers for Karnataka, Union Ministers Dharmendra Pradhan and JP Nadda & Union Minister Prakash Javadekar arrived at BJP office for a legislative party meeting. Meeting to begin shortly.
– Congress-JD(S) preparing to parade their MLAs before Governor at Raj Bhavan. While separate meetings being held by Cong and JDS, top leaders in contact on how to outmanoeuvre the BJP. JD(S) MLA Balakrishna said they will stick to what their leader Deve Gowda says. “He is our party supremo. We will follow his words. He has told us we ll be going with the congress so we ll be sticking with that,” he said.
– As the whole scenario heats up in Karnataka, BJP has denied the claims of the JD(S) that they have offered the chief minister’s post to HD Kumaraswamy. The BJP has denied any deals with the JD(S) and that these claims are planted by the former.
– JD(S) MLC Sarvana said 4-5 MLAs were approached by BJP. JD(S) MLAs are present for the legislative party meeting, meeting to begin shortly. “I don’t know what they (BJP) are offering but they are trying to call our people, but they are not responding. We are all together, no one can touch our party. Our party MLAs are loyal to the party,” he told news agency ANI.
– Congress senior leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said BJP is power hungry. He said that all Congress MLAs are very much together. he also said that JD(S) has all the faith in their MLAs. Nobody is going to go away. Let BJP try, whatever they want to.
– Times Now sources said that BJP is ready to drop BS Yeddyurappa.
– We believe in all our MLAs. BJP is trying hard to get them. They don’t believe in democracy, BJP just wants power. All the people are happy, nobody is unhappy here: Ramalinga Reddy, Congress.
– All the Congress MLAs are intact. Nobody is missing. We are confident of forming the government: Siddaramaiah, Congress after reaching the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) office for party legislative meeting.
– They (BJP) are poaching our MLAs, we know that. Every day there is a lot of pressure. But it not so easy because two parties have the necessary number. People are watching this, DK Shivakumar, Congress.
– “Yes, definitely there is a plan. We have to safeguard our MLAs, We will let you know what is the plan,” DK Shivakumar, Congress on being asked if Congress MLAs in Karnataka will be shifted somewhere else.
Single largest party doesn’t have the numbers. BJP has 104, we (Congress & JDS) have 117. Governor cannot take sides. Can a person who is there to save constitution, destroy it too? The gov has to cut all its previous associations, be it BJP or RSS, said senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad.
“I got a call from the BJP leaders. They said come to us & we’ll give a ministry to you. We’ll make you a minister. But, I’m going to stay here. HD Kumaraswamy is our Chief Minister,” said one of the Congress MLA, Amaregouda Linganagouda Patil Bayyapur.
Both Congress and JDS met at Ashoka Hotel. In the meeting, the legal course of action was discussed in case Governor does not invite them. The meet which happened between HD Kumaraswamy, HD Deve Gowda, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Siddaramaiah talked about legal options in case Governor invites BJP to form the govt.
Though Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won the most number of seats making it a single largest party, Surjewala said that the vote share of the coalition is 56 per cent. He also gave an example of the Goa, Meghalaya and Manipur elections where even after emerging as the single largest party, the party could not form the government as BJP invited the third forces to come and form the government.
The BJP is also going to convene a meeting later in the day on Wednesday. The BJP will formally elect BS Yeddyurappa as the LP leader. Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala will take a call on whether to ask Yeddyurappa to form the government in the state or not by inviting the JD(S) to form a coalition government.
Siddaramaiah has resigned from the post of chief minister on Tuesday even as the votes were still being counted. The Congress soon invited JD(S) Karnataka chief HD Kumaraswamy to form the government and offered him the post of chief minister. In back-to-back developments, JD(S) accepted Congress’ offer and confirmed that they are going to form a coalition government in the state.
The JD(S) had earlier indicated that if Congress is ready to step aside for a Dalit face to be the chief minister they had no problem backing them in a coalition. The Governor of Karnataka will be taking a final call today.