Grilled cheese is a favorite in many households around the world. It doesn’t take much effort to make and is pretty inexpensive, just two slices of bread and a slice of cheese in the middle and you’ve got yourself a meal! But what if you have a gluten intolerance, or are just looking to lighten the meal up a bit? We’ve got the perfect recipe to help you do just that, and might we say that it’s even more delicious than your standard grilled cheese!
Time: 25 minutes
420g chopped cauliflower
1 cup (70g) grated parmesan cheese
½ cup (50g) Mozzarella cheese
2 tsp. Pesto
1. Place cauliflower in a food processor and process until the cauliflower looks like pieces of rice.
2. Place the cauliflower rice in a non-stick pan over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes constantly stirring, until it turns soft. Put the cauliflower in a bowl and leave it to cool on the side. Wipe the pan down with a paper towel.
3. Once the cauliflower has cooled, add the egg and parmesan cheese. Mix and divide into 4 portions, spray the pan with oil and place over a medium flame.
4. Put 2 portions of the cauliflower cheese mix into the pan and shape them into squares using a spatula.
5. Fry them for 4 minutes until the cauliflower “slices” turn golden, flip carefully, press down on them with a spatula to fix the shape, and let it fry for another 3 minutes.
6. Spread 1 tsp. of pesto and sprinkle half of the mozzarella over one slice of cauliflower bread, and cover with the other cauliflower slice. Keep frying until the cheese melts, and then transfer to a plate.
7. Repeat the process with the other portions of cauliflower rice to make another cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich!