BEIJING (AFP) – China reported 30 more deaths from the new coronavirus outbreak on Friday, with fresh infections rising for a second straight day and 16 new cases imported from overseas.
In total 3,042 people have died from the disease in China, the National Health Commission said, with another 143 cases, up from 139 in the previous day.
Over 80,500 people have now been infected in mainland China, which has imposed a series of dramatic measures to try and contain the spread of infections beyond the epicentre, central Hubei province.
But as the virus spreads overseas, there have been a growing number of cases imported into the country by travellers from abroad.
There have now been 36 cases brought into China in total, the commission said Friday, 16 more than in the previous day.
The number of cases reported outside Hubei was the highest in over a week with 17 cases.
China still accounts for the majority of cases and deaths, but infections are now rising faster abroad, with South Korea, Iran and Italy emerging as major hotspots.
Print This Post
To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g
- Millions out of school as WHO calls for stronger virus response
- Corona: 60 patients confirmed in India, visas from foreigners canceled
- Corona virus infects more than 60 people in the country; 11 in Maharashtra, 9 positive in UP; WHO declares epidemic
- Test ‘every suspected case’ of COVID-19: WHO
- Brazil passes 5,000 deaths from COVID-19: official
- China sees drop in new virus cases, two Japan cruise passengers die
- China virus deaths rise to 490 as more countries confirm local transmission
- China reports zero new domestic virus cases for first time
- China virus death toll surges past 2,000: govt
- Italy’s dead overwhelm morgues as virus toll tops 8,000
- WHO describes coronavirus outbreak as pandemic
- Allegations on Mata Amritanandamayi Math hiding foreigners baseless
- Macron warns over virus epidemic as death toll rises
- SARS-like virus spreads in China, nearly 140 new cases
- China’s Hubei province reports 108 more virus deaths: official
- WHO chief sees chance to stop virus, warns of ‘grave’ threat
- China virus deaths rise to 80 as Hong Kong bans visitors from worst-hit province
- Brazil sets daily record of new coronavirus cases
- US notches record 68,428 new virus cases in 24 hours: Johns Hopkins
- Polio immunization suspended amid coronavirus pandemic
- China announces 5th Coronavirus vaccine ready to be applied to humans, More on the Way
- Covid-19: Death toll rises in US, 1509 deaths in 24 hours
- Beijing fights new virus outbreak as India deaths soar
- Over 2.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide