MUMBAI (Reuters) – Almost 30% of the population in India’s capital of New Delhi likely have been infected by the novel coronavirus, according to a serological survey of 15,000 people conducted by the local government, a figure that indicates infection numbers are much higher than those recorded.
The survey, which tested a sample of the population for the presence of antibodies, was done in the national capital territory in the first week of August, its health minister Satyendra Jain told a news conference on Thursday.
“We found that 29.1% of the population of Delhi had antibodies, which means that they were infected and have been cured,” Jain said.
Delhi has a population of 20 million and has recorded a total of 140,767 cases of COVID-19, out of India’s total of 2.84 million.
The findings of the survey are in line with what other cities like Mumbai and Pune have discovered, that a significant number of their people have been infected.
India reported a record daily jump of 69,652 coronavirus infections on Thursday, data from the federal health ministry showed. Deaths rose by 977 to a total of 53,866.
India is the worst-hit country in Asia and globally third only behind the United States and Brazil in number of cases.
Print This Post
To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g
- China reports zero new domestic virus cases for first time
- Corona cases in the country crossed 39 lakh, 83,341 new cases in 24 hours
- Lockdown in India has been extended to May 3; the biggest lockdown in the world
- Brazil passes 5,000 deaths from COVID-19: official
- Rapid opening of lockdown amid growing infection will be disastrous: WHO
- Lockdown is likely to be extended in the UK as well; Covid-19 spreading is not over yet
- Brazil’s COVID-19 death toll surpasses 90,000
- National Investigation Agency (NIA) busted nine Al Qaeda terrorists from West Bengal and Kerala
- China’s imported cases rise as foreigners banned and flights cut
- Covid-19: Death toll in Spain is declining; Workers are returning to work with caution
- China virus death toll surges past 2,000: govt
- China corona virus death toll reaches 1,110
- China’s Hubei province reports 108 more virus deaths: official
- Corona may cause further destruction in Mumbai, IIT Bombay’s shocking report
- War-torn Yemen reports first coronavirus case
- Palestinian toddler, mother killed in Israeli strikes in Gaza: ministry
- Suicide attack on Kabul voter registration centre kills at least 50
- Air India stops flights to Rome, Milan
- US deaths in 2020 top 3 million, by far most ever counted
- Rs 100 cr black money: I-T raids at 50 locations across India
- BJP Manifesto Likely to Focus on ‘development, Nationalism and Hindutva’, Separate Ministry for Job Creation
- Modi favourite as India’s incredible election begins
- Coronavirus infection cases for the first time in CBI, two officers turned positive
- Air pollution; United Airlines temporarily suspends flights from Newark to Delhi