WASHINGTON – The number of US Covid-19 deaths on Wednesday surpassed the country s toll of military fatalities in World War II, according to a tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins University.
As of the evening, the tracker showed that 405,400 people have died from the disease caused by the new coronavirus in the United States.
The total number of combat and non-combat deaths in World War II was 405,399, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The figure is a stark reminder of the pandemic s cost as newly-elected President Joe Biden begins his term.
“We need all our strength to persevere through this dark winter. We re entering what may be the toughest and deadliest period of the virus,” Biden said in his inaugural speech.
The US accounts for four percent of the world s population but around 20 percent of its Covid-19 deaths.
Though the infection rate seems to have hit a new peak, modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests the B.1.1.7 variant, originally identified in Britain, will lead to a fresh surge in the coming months.
Biden has said that his response to the pandemic will be rooted in evidence-based solutions, unlike his predecessor Donald Trump.
He is seeking $1.9 trillion for an emergency Covid and economic recovery package from Congress, and on Wednesday signed an executive order requiring masks on federal property.
The administration also plans to rejoin the World Health Organization, which Trump derided as being manipulated by China.
Print This Post
To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g
- Average US virus cases dip below 100K for 1st time in months
- Covid-19: Death toll rises in US, 1509 deaths in 24 hours
- US notches record 68,428 new virus cases in 24 hours: Johns Hopkins
- Protesters disrupt coronavirus vaccination site in Los Angeles
- Fastest-ever growth in global virus cases as US tops 8 million
- US approaching 2 million coronavirus cases: Johns Hopkins
- Italy virus deaths hit record as Trump goes on war footing
- Biden insists he’ll tackle virus as Trump pushes ‘super-recovery’
- Masks spark political, legal battles in US as virus marches on
- Corona, Tax, Supreme Court … There was a lot of debate on these issues, in the first presidential debate, Donald Trump-Joe Biden’s verbal war
- Biden ends US support for Yemen war, freezes Germany troops redeployment
- Macron warns over virus epidemic as death toll rises
- China reports 30 virus deaths, rise in new infections and imported cases
- Brazil passes 5,000 deaths from COVID-19: official
- Boris Johnson walking in hospital as UK sees record death toll
- Italy’s dead overwhelm morgues as virus toll tops 8,000
- German virus deaths top 40,000 as Merkel warns of ‘hardest weeks’
- George HW Bush hospitalized day after wife’s funeral
- China announces 5th Coronavirus vaccine ready to be applied to humans, More on the Way
- Polio immunization suspended amid coronavirus pandemic
- US tops world in virus cases, overtaking China and Italy
- Global coronavirus death toll tops 100,000
- China sees drop in new virus cases, two Japan cruise passengers die
- Spain reports drop in daily coronavirus death toll