Asian American Unity Coalition (AAUC, https://www.asamunitycoalition.org/), a umbrella organization of Asian American community groups, has successfully completed the election of the Executive Committee Members for the term 2022 to 2023. The Board Development Committee Chair Dr. Thomas Abraham called in for nominations in October and the election was complete by November 15th. The term will start on January 1st. 2022 and will end on December 31st, 2023. The Oath of Office was conducted on Dec 16th at AAUC’s Annual General Body Meeting (AGM). The chief guest was Connecticut Attorney General William Morten Tong, who administered the Oath of Office. The new elected officers will take the office from 1st Jan 2022.
Indian American community is represented at AAUC with the following member associations: Global Organizations of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO), South Asian Women’s Network and Hindu American Foundation (HAF) and several other individual Life Members.
AG William Tong administered the Oath of Office as “I (state your name), having been elected as an state, your position of the executive committee of AAUC. Do solemnly pledge to abide by and uphold the constitution and bylaws of this organization and to perform my duties and responsibilities, do the best of my abilities and capacities with the aim of furthering the objectives of this organization and advancing the interest of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders to which it is dedicated and to conduct myself in a befitting manner. So as to bring honor and prestige to the organization and the USA and serve the society at large that I take this pledge without mental reservation. so, help me, God”.
Dr. S.K. Lo from the Chinese American community has been reelected for a second term. Indian American community is well represented by Vice President Internal Raman Velji of Portland, Oregon; Vice President External Angela Anand from Annandale, Virginia; Board Development Committee Chair Dr. Thomas Abraham from Stamford, CT and Membership Committee Chair Rajeev Singh from Silicon Valley, California. In addition, two other Indian Americans Dr. Piyush Agrawal and Niraj Baxi are Board of Governors. All other positions are filled by people from different Asian communities and include Jan Xie as Secretary, Mie Mie Strickler as Treasurer and several committee chairs including Jack Hanna (Public Policy & Advocacy), Prof. Munsup Soeh (Public Relations), Dr. Juwairyah Syed (Educational Program and Conference), Prof. Steven Pei (Constitution and Bylaws), Peter Nguyen (Strategic Development) and Tony Nakazawa (Ethics).
President Dr. Lo gave the highlights of activities and accomplishments in the last two years as follows:
Last two years were very crucial for AAUC as in these two years we have grown as upcoming non-profit Asian American Pacific Islander. The following are the highlights of AAUC activities and achievements in 2021. to highlight on some of the work done by AAUC.
• AAUC delivers podcast – AAUC has dedicated the podcast series to dive deeply into our vision in creating a Unity among Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders to build our collective American Dream. Last Sunday of Every month, AAUC delivers a new episode of the podcast. All past podcasts are available at the link https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/aauc-podcast/id1548205776
• Map Project – since this is one of the most important project by AAUC, it’s in initials stage.
• Newsletter – first week of every month we release our newsletter. you will find all our updates in our newsletter.
• National Civic Leadership Forum (NCLF) – AAUC organized two NCLF event in the year 2020 and 2021 respectively, providing platform for discussion on Asian American Pacific Islanders, inviting leaders from different AAPI organization, ethnic groups, and political background to share their thought on AAPI.
• Yellow Whistle – AAUC supported yellow whistle Campaign “Stop Violence on Asian Americans” and promoted the Campaign through its organizations.
• Supporting Partner organizations – AAUC supported many events, promoted them through its distribution list and hosted the event in the local area if possible, like #UnityAgainstHate, NCLA, National ACE’S 2021 AAPISTRONG legislative Conference, Civic Leadership forum,1990 Institute and many more events like this.
• AAUC conducted its EC Meetings every month and Board of Governors (BOG) every alternate month.