An explosion followed by a fire at an apartment building in upper Manhattan on Wednesday has left one person dead and at least 16 people injured, officials say.
According to ABC’s New York affiliate, at least 16 people were injured, including one with “heavy trauma.” The conditions of the others were not immediately known. NBC 4 reported at least 16 were injured, with 12 described as having minor injuries.
The FDNY said it received a call shortly after 9:30 a.m. reporting a large explosion in the five-story apartment building on Park Avenue near 116th Street in East Harlem.
The fire department confirmed that the explosion involved multiple buildings, and escalated the response to five alarms, with 39 units and 168 members responding. According to public records, the address that firefighters initially reponded to was built in 1910.
Reached by phone, an employee of the man who owns the building at 1646 Park Ave. told Yahoo News that she didn’t know what might have sparked the blast. The 5-story building is home to four floors of apartments and Absolute Piano on the street level. The employee said everyone at the piano shop was safe.
According to multiple reports, Con Ed was responding to a report of a gas leak at the building before the explosion.
Mayor Bill de Blasio was en route to the scene, his office said.
The Associated Press reports that police, including some wearing gas masks, “handed out medical masks to residents and onlookers because of the thick white smoke that shrouded the area.”
Print This Post
To toggle between English & Malayalam Press CTRL+g
- People’s Climate March
- Goa is waiting for your arrival with a warm welcome from its Heart
- Houston Mall firing leaves gunman dead and nine injured; Situation is under control
- NASA scientist detained at the border, forced to unlock secured phone
- New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera Accepting Applications from Vocalists Worldwide for 28th Annual International Vocal Competition. Free Master Classes Provided
- 4 Persons injured and 1 dead in New York City Bus-Truck accident
- Leonia Artist Marsha Heller Selected to Exhibit at Ceres Gallery in New York City
- Stolen Yahoo Data Includes FBI, NSA and other Government Employees Information
- September 11 families sue Saudi Arabia over terror attacks
- Congresswoman Grace Meng awards Indian-American student with Congressional medal during ceremony in Washington, D.C.
- Disenchanted Congress deserters are beginning to return home, says Satvir Singh Ji, Congress leader from Punjab
- House fire in southern Beijing suburb kills 19, injures 8
- Tornado hits Texas, death toll raised to 25, several houses damaged
- The United Nations should have an Anthem of it’s own
- ‘The United Nations International Day of Peace’ celebrated at New York City
- 7 killed in twin fireworks-related explosions in China
- United States’s interfere in Syria with its sights set on Iran
- “It’s very sad that our fathers, mothers and brothers are killed because of their color….”The brave 9 year old Zianna
- Turks Turn Down U.S. Military Help in Syria, Accept Russian Aid Instead
- India Day Parade in Queens, NY: a great time for Malayalees to wake up from the slumber!
- Melania Trump Finally Confirmed White House Move-In And It’s So Far From Now
- NY attorney general sends cease and desist order to Trump Foundation
- White House blocks CNN, NY Times, BBC and several other medias from press briefing
- Former Union Home Minister Shinde launches Maharashtra Chapter of INOC, USA