This contest is organized by The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO. And it is endorsed by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, Japan Private High School Federation, Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education, Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc and supported by FELISSIMO CORPORATION
As today’s young people are crucial for the shaping of our future, it is imperative that they are enabled to develop to their full potential. UNESCO’s objective is to help empower young people and ensure that their contributions are taken into account. This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world. On the occasion of the final year of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014), the theme of this year’s contest is “My Role as a Citizen of Earth.”
In the vast universe, we were born on this planet called Earth, where various cultures and ethnicities, all living things, and all of nature exist together. However, in our world today, we face numerous problems–environmental destruction, resource depletion, wars and conflicts, poverty, and many more–that make our future uncertain. Given this situation, what do you think is the best way forward for humanity? How do you wish to fulfill your role as a citizen of Earth?
1.Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2014) in one of the following age categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or
1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
3. Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2)
Essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7)
Nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2014 (9) gender (10)-school name (if Applicable) (11)-word count
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
4. Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
* IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online
Registration page at www.goipeace.or.jp and follow the required steps
5. Essays must be original and unpublished.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
Entries must be received by June 15, 2014
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$950 as of January 2014) – 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$475 as of January 2014) – 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift – 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift – 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for December 2014. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers).
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced in November 2014 on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (www.goipeace.or.jp) and UNESCO web site (www.unesco.org/youth). Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in November 2014.
PLEASE SEND YOUR ENTRIES TO: International Essay Contest
C/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan
send online through www.goipeace.or.jp
* For inquires, please contact email@example.com
Like our page https://www.facebook.com/MalayalamDailyNews/ and get latest news update from USA, India and around the world. Stay updated with latest News in Malayalam, English and Hindi.